When you have a job that requires you to sit for many hours a day, you may often experience pain and discomfort from being immobile. This is especially true if you’re sitting in a chair that doesn’t have good support. Buying a new chair may not be in the budget but there are supportive cushions that you can add to your existing chair to support your back while you sit.
Lumbar support cushions come in several styles and sizes. These cushions are designed to provide added support to the lower back area to prevent pain and strain that comes from sitting for long hours. When choosing the best lumbar support cushion, it’s important to compare the different options based on the price and the comfort level offered by the pillow. The following is a list of the 10 best lumbar support cushions for office chairs.
10. DMI Lumbar Support Pillow for Office or Kitchen Chair
The DMI lumbar support pillow can be used in your office chair. This cushion also has many other uses around the home. It’s designed to relieve pain associated with arthritis and many other conditions.
This lumbar support cushion is versatile and can be used for work or simply for relaxing. It promotes good posture and helps prevent strain on the spine associated with sitting for long periods of time.
- includes a removable cover that’s easy to wash
- orthopedic design provides maximum support for the lower back
- comes with an elastic strap to keep the cushion in place
- comes with a wooden lumbar support board that can be used for added support
- available in several colors
- made with durable foam that’s designed to keep its shape
- elastic strap may not work with larger office chairs
- cushion may be too stiff for some
This lumbar support cushion from DMI is easy to use and includes a strap so you can attach it to most office chairs. It includes an optional wooden insert to provide extra support for those who need it.
9. TravelMate Extra-Large Memory Foam Seat Cushion
The TravelMate Extra-Large memory foam seat cushion can be used in an office chair, a wheelchair, or other types of seats to provide support for the lower back.
This lumbar support cushion from TravelMate is 3″ thick to provide support in chairs that don’t’ offer sufficient support on their own. This cushion is larger than many other similar types of support cushions.
- measures 19″ by 17″
- includes a washable cover
- designed to custom fit to your body
- non-slip cover keeps the cushion in place during use
- cover is made of a breathable material
- spreads pressure over a large area for added comfort and support
- larger size cushion may not be compatible with all chairs
- doesn’t have a strap to secure it to your chair
This support cushion from TravelMate can be used in your office chair or other type of chair to add support for the back and upper body. The cushion comes with a removable cover that can be washed as needed.
8. FORTEM Seat Cushion & Lumbar Support for Office Chair
The FORTEM seat cushion & lumbar support is designed to be used in your office chair to reduce pain and strain on the lower back. This cushion is made with 100% memory foam that’s designed to hold its shape.
This cushion from FORTEM can be used in a wheelchair for those who need extra support. The cushion comes in two parts to support the seat and lower back areas.
- both pieces can removable and washable covers
- cushions work together to prevent slouching to promote good posture
- can be used together or separately
- 100% memory foam construction means the cushions will maintain their shape throughout many uses
- elastic straps keep the backrest cushion in shape
- both are lightweight and easy to take with you
- may be pricier than other cushions because it includes 2 cushions rather than 1
- size of the lumbar cushion may not work well in all types of office chairs
This lumbar support cushion comes with an additional seat support cushion. Both work together to promote good posture and prevent back pain that comes from sitting for hours at a time in your office chair.
7. Lumbar Support Pillow/Back Cushion
The Feagar lumbar support pillow and back cushion can be used in your office chair, wheelchair, car seat, or nearly any place where you need extra support to prevent back pain and fatigue.
This lumbar support pillow has a unique design that allows it to support more of your back than many other similarly priced cushions. It’s made of durable materials so it maintains the shape and thickness over time.
- uses thick memory foam for the best support
- covered in a breathable material
- includes durable straps to keep the cushion in place on your chair
- ergonomically designed for comfort
- helps promote good posture to prevent and reduce back pain
- cover is removable and machine washable
- memory foam interior can be affected by extreme temperatures
- may not fit well on wider types of chairs and seats
This comfortable and supportive lumbar cushion can be used in your office, car, home, or wheelchair to help prevent back pain and strain. The cushion includes a removable cover that can be washed as needed.
6. ComfiLife Lumbar Support Back Pillow
The ComfiLife lumbar support back pillow is versatile and comfortable to be used in many different ways. It can be attached to your office chair, whether at home or in a professional setting, to support your back while you work.
This lumbar support pillow has an ergonomic design to fit with the curve of your back. It helps promote good posture, which is another way to decrease back pain from sitting for long hours at a time.
- recommended by chiropractors for back pain relief
- contoured memory foam supports lumbar vertebrae discs
- includes an adjustable strap to work on different types of chairs
- memory foam maintains its shape throughout many uses
- 3D ventilated mesh allows for air flow
- zippered cover can be removed for washing
- memory foam responds to extreme temperatures, which may not be desirable for use in your vehicle
- may be too thick for use in some chairs
This lumbar support pillow from ComfiLife is made with durable and long-lasting memory foam. The cushion has a removable cover that’s made with breathable mesh to help keep you cool while you work.
5. SOFTaCARE Seat Cushion
The SOFTaCARE seat cushions come in a set with a cushion for the seat of your chair and one for use on the backrest of your chair. These cushions can be used in office chairs or other types of seating.
This set of support cushions form SOFTaCARE are designed to reduce pressure on the coccyx due to their anatomic shape. When used together, this set can significantly reduce back pain related to many common issues.
- seat cushion has a non-slip rubber bottom to keep it in place
- lumbar support cushion includes a pocket to hold your phone or other small item
- both are covered in a durable and removable velour slip cover
- slip covers are machine washable
- both cushions are ergonomically designed to fit to the curves of the body for maximum support
- can be used to relieve pain associated with sciatica, herniated discs, tailbone injuries, and more
- set is pricier than many other lumbar cushions that are sold individually
- velour slip covers may be hot when used in warmer weather
This set of support cushions from SOFTaCARE includes a seat cushion and lumbar support. Both have removable slip covers that can be washed in your machine for convenience.
4. Coccyx Orthopedic Memory Foam Seat Cushion
The coccyx orthopedic seat cushion from Xtreme Comforts is designed to provide relief for tailbone pain and many other similar issues. This cushion can be used on your office chair or with other types of chairs.
This support cushion is a great option for those who suffer from back pain and other issues related to sitting for long periods of time. It’s lightweight and easy to take with you wherever you need it.
- measures 18″ by 14″ with a thickness of 3″
- made with memory foam which maintains its shape over time
- includes a builtin handle and a convenient bag for travel
- helps promote good posture and healthy blood flow
- ergonomically designed for comfort
- non-skid bottom keeps the cushion in place
- may not work for those with extreme lumbar issues
- memory foam can become too soft if used in hot temperatures
This support cushion from Xtreme Comforts is designed to relieve many of the most common back and tailbone pain and fatigue issues. The cushion is made from durable memory foam to provide a stable and supportive surface for sitting.
3. Xtreme Comforts Large Seat Cushion
The Xtreme Comforts large seat cushion is oversized when compared to many other supportive cushions. It can be used in your office chair, wheelchair, or for lounging in the comfort of your home.
This supportive cushion from Xtreme Comforts helps relieve back pain that’s associated with staying seated for hours at a time. It’s beneficial for people who suffer from many common back issues.
- padding is firm to provide a comfortable base in many types of chairs
- anti-slip bottom keeps the cushion in place
- includes a convenient carrying handle so you can take it with you as needed
- promotes healthy weight distribution to prevent back pain
- helps relieve pressure points on the tailbone
- is 3.5″ thick, which is thicker than many other cushions
- firm padding may not work well for those who prefer a softer surface
- oversized design may be too large for small office chairs
This oversized support cushion from Xtreme Comforts helps relieve back pain and takes pressure off the tailbone. The cushion is made of a durable foam that’s designed to be firm for extreme support.
2. Everlasting Comfort Seat Cushion for Office Chair
The Everlasting Comfort seat cushion is designed for use in your office chair. This cushion is made with durable and long-lasting memory foam that can keep its shape, even after many hours of use.
This lumbar support cushion can be used to reduce or eliminate many types of back pain associated with sitting for many hours during the day. It works on many different types of chairs.
- has an orthopedic design to maximize support
- portable and compact so you can easily travel with it as needed
- helps improve poor posture
- can alleviate chronic and acute pain related to many conditions
- machine washable
- includes a lifetime replacement guarantee from the manufacturer
- smaller size may not work well for large office chairs
- designed for use in the seat which may not work for those with extreme lumbar pain
This cushion from Everlasting Comfort can relieve pain and fatigue related to many different conditions. The cushion is compact so you can take it with you wherever it may be needed.
1. ComfiLife Gel Enhanced Seat Cushion
The ComfiLife gel enhanced seat cushion is supportive and comfortable so you can use it to relieve back pain that comes with sitting for long periods of time.
This cushion from ComfiLife uses gel and memory foam to provide a supportive base to use in many different types of chairs. It’s ideal for those who need added support in their office chair.
- includes a sturdy non-slip bottom to keep the cushion in place
- washable cover is easy to remove for cleaning
- helps support the tailbone and relieve pressure in the lower back
- can be used in the office, home, car, or for travel
- gel memory foam maintains its shape
- lightweight and easily portable
- may not work for those with extreme lumbar conditions
- unique shape of the cushion may not be comfortable for some
This support cushion from ComfiLife is designed to help alleviate tailbone and lower back pain. The cushion is made with gel infused memory foam for added support and comfort.
Lumbar support cushions can be used in your office chair, whether you’re working from home or in your professional office space. These cushions fit easily into most standard office chairs. They can also be used in other types of chairs for extra support whenever you need it. Most lumbar support cushions are relatively lightweight so you can easily move them around as needed. It’s important to choose a support cushion that is comfortable for sitting on for long hours at a time.
When you’re shopping for the bes lumbar support cushion to use in your office chair, it’s important to know the width of your chair so you can find a cushion that will fit. Some lumbar support cushions can be washed in your home washing machine, which is a helpful feature for something that will be used so frequently. It’s also helpful to read online consumer reviews when deciding which lumbar support cushion to buy. These reviews provide a wealth of information on comfort and quality, so you can make the best choice based on your budget and needs.